Thursday, November 18, 2010

Stalking the Sprout

I have to admit, I used to really hate Brussels sprouts. I mean truly gagging hate them. And then I moved to Santa Cruz, California, for college in the county where these little alien-looking gems grow, and some blessed soul actually cooked them for me without draining the life from them. It’s that time of year again and so many folks I talk to get that same look on their faces that I know I used to have at the mention of these cruciferous goodies. So, here you go, one delectable and exceedingly simple way to prepare fresh from the stalk sprouts...

First, procure a stalk of sprouts! (If you happen to be in the California San Francisco Bay Area, they are even in Trader Joe's right now). Then carefully cut the needed number of sprouts from the stalk (about 6-8 per person is a good serving).


Remove the outer leaves of these mini cabbages, take off any remaining stem, and cut in half. Don't worry if some additional leaves fall off in the process, they'll crisp up when cooking.


Add about 1 tablespoon of organic butter and 4-8 tablespoons of dry white wine, sake or broth to a sauce pan and heat on medium-low until butter is melted.


Add the sprouts and season with fresh ground black pepper and a little salt (I like kosher salt or Himalayan pink).




Stir or shake the pan to coat the sprouts and then cover. Let the sprouts cook for a couple of minutes before lowering the heat to a simmer.


After about 4-5 minutes shake or stir the sprouts and cover again for a couple more minutes. Start checking for doneness and to be sure your pot doesn't boil dry. Your sprouts should be nicely browned on one side and all the liquid should be gone. The sprouts should be slightly soft but still a little crunchy in the center. 


Serve immediately! You want them hot! Here is the dinner I had tonight with lamb, quinoa and a yogurt cilantro sauce, flanked by a few slices of crunchy apples. Fantastic! 





No comments:

Post a Comment